Saturday, January 26, 2008

the ongoing saga

August 2006
I have:
Signed up for on line Encyclopaedia Britannica
Signed up for on line Questia
Joined the British History Club.
I have set the pattern for the biography. It will be in three main sections with subdivisions within them: The Woodville/Plantagenet Connection, the Woodville/Caxton Connection, the Woodville/Plantagenet Connection. It makes perfect sense when you know the history … the Woodvilles and the Plantagenets clashed many times, in battle and out of it, as the Woodvilles were initially Lancastrian in their allegiance. The change of heart came when Edward IV married Elizabeth Grey, the oldest daughter out of the Woodville ‘children’ and the Woodvilles became Plantagenet supporters. The middle section is Anthony Woodville’s work with Caxton, that section is very important. The last part is when the Woodville/Plantagenet enmity flares up again and Anthony loses out, well, he loses his head actually, his execution being ordered by Richard duke of Gloucester, before he became Richard III. So, three lever folders for the three parts. I have begun to fill them with downloaded sheets.
Ever had the feeling life is trying to tell you something? I applied to Pennsylvania University for copies of pages of a very old book, detailing a duel Earl Rivers fought with the Bastard of Burgundy over two days. After some preliminary discussion I heard nothing, so applied to the British Library for the same copies. (Should have done that in the first place but I came across the book in the Penn University library first … and initially the book escaped my attention in the British Library catalogue.) Then I found the book itself listed on abebooks.com. It had not been there earlier, I checked. I bought the book. Earl Rivers was born in Grafton Regis, Northamptonshire. They have produced a double CD of the history of the village. I ordered it.
All four items arrived in the same post on the 15th August. … Can I use three copies of the same information? I surely can. Translating medieval English into modern English is going to be a long ongoing task. I have one copy at work and tackle some of it during the lunch break, storing the information on a zip disc to bring home. I have one copy at home, in the first folder. The book itself is my proof of right to use the information when it comes to copyright questions later on. Book: it is very old sheets of paper (going brown) glued into a thin brown paper/card cover. It’s very fragile and I shall not use it to refer to.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In a post elsewhere about Elizabeth Woodville you specifically mention that her brother's name is "Antony" not "Anthony". Why do you not refer to him by that name here?

Unknown said...

You can's spell can you?
I think I will enlist the Church Of Satan for your hunt you sack of bones.